According to the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services, Massachusetts fire departments responded to 449 fires involving grills, hibachis, and barbecues between 2015 and 2019. These fires caused 20 civilian injuries, 5 firefighter injuries, and $3.8 million in property damage.
The North Andover Fire Department would like to share the following Grilling Safety guidelines provided by the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services:
- Read and follow the owner’s manual.
- Always grill outdoors.
- Grills cannot be used on a porch, balcony or deck with a roof, overhang or wall (other than the exterior of the building).
- Grills can only be used on open first floor porches, decks or patios if there is an outdoor stairway to the ground, or the porch is at ground level.
- Grills must be 10-feet from the side of a building unless the manufacturer's instructions say it can be closer. Make sure grills are not underneath overhanging branches.
- Grills cannot be used on fire escapes.
- Place grills away from the house and deck railings.
- Keep all matches, lighters and lighter fluid away from children.
- Keep children and pets three feet away from grills. Children should never play near grills or propane cylinders.
For additional grill safety tips, click here.