Happy #SocialMediaDay   Be sure to connect with @north_andover on #SocialMedia to get our latest news and updates!

Connect with us here:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/north_andover

Facebook:   https://www.facebook.com/northandoverma

LinkedIn:  https://www.linkedin.com/in/north-andover

Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/northandoverma

You can also Connect with Us by using this form to Subscribe to our News and Agendas Email  Lists:  https://www.northandoverma.gov/home/pages/connect-us

Beech Leaf Disease in Massachusetts

Beech Leaf Disease in Massachusetts

“Beech Leaf Disease” (BLD) is being reported throughout the state. It is caused by an invasive nematode. The disease causes damage to a tree’s leaves, leading to reduced vigor and can eventually lead to tree mortality. Please visit https://www.mass.gov/guides/beech-leaf-disease-in-massachusetts to learn more.  

If you think your beech tree might be infected with beech leaf disease, please report it to the DCR Forest Health Program by sending an email to Nicole.keleher@mass.gov or calling (857) 337-5173. Any details you are able to provide about the location, symptoms and severity of the disease, or any pictures of the tree will help in monitoring efforts of the progress of this disease in the Commonwealth.

beech_leaf_disease_close_up.jpeg

High Street Area Power Outage

To Residents and Businesses in the High Street / Mill Area:

It has come to the Town’s attention that some residents and businesses did not receive notification from National Grid regarding their pre-planned power outage on Friday night.  We are very sorry to anyone who was affected in a negative way.

If you experienced any losses or damage as a result of this incident, we encourage you to file a claim with National Grid.  You mail file a claim online here: https://www.nationalgridus.com/Our-Company/Claim-Form

Department of Fire Services Press Release: North Andover Fire Started with Spray Paint Can Near Furnace

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

May 31, 2022

Contact:                     Jake Wark

Email:                          jake.wark@mass.gov

Office:                         978-567-3189

Mobile:                        978-273-7380

North Andover Fire Started with Spray Paint Can Near Furnace

Keep Aerosols Away from Heat Sources

NORTH ANDOVER—North Andover Fire Chief John A. Weir III and State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey said today that a basement fire on Granville Lane last week started accidentally with spray paint can that was stored near a furnace.

“Aerosol cans are pressurized, and the contents are almost always flammable,” said Chief Weir. “Whether it’s spray paint or any other product, keep these cans well away from open flames, home heating equipment, and other heat sources, including direct sunlight.”

“Spray paint, cleaning products, and other aerosols can pose a risk of fire and explosion if they aren’t used and stored properly,” said State Fire Marshal Ostroskey. “Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the label. If the contents are hazardous then dispose of old or outdated cans at your community’s household hazardous waste collection.”

North Andover firefighters responded to the area of Granville Lane at about 10:30 am on May 26 for a report of a fire. On arrival, they found smoke and flames coming from the basement of the single-family home. One person, an adult, was transported from the scene with injuries that were not life threatening. Mutual aid companies from Andover, Lawrence, and Methuen assisted at the scene and provided station coverage.

The origin and cause of the fire were jointly investigated by the North Andover Fire Department and State Police investigators assigned to the State Fire Marshal’s office. They determined that the fire began in a basement storage closet that housed a furnace and was caused by the ignition of spray paint and other aerosol cans in close proximity.

###